Hobohome Motorhome main logo
Tales of the travels, trials and triumphs as we explore Australia in a converted bus
We are about here! Click for SPOT Page
We are here

Motorhome Travels - January 2011


When we left Cliff Head on the 8th od Dec I was a little relieved that nothing on the bus had seized. We don't normally say anywhere for as long as we had been parked there.

Some great places hold us for longer than most!

Just before we left we met four French backpackers who were travelling the west coast in a small car (very cramped). We invited them on a snorkeling trip and speared a couple of fish for them to try. They were also very excited to see a small wobbegong shark swim past (I could hear the screaming from under water!)

The french backpackers try their hand at fish filleting, Cliff Head, WA - [Click for a Larger Image]
The french backpackers try their
hand at fish filleting, Cliff Head,

The reason for the trip back down to Perth was to attend Tracey's endocrinologist appointment. If you are new to the blog you may not be aware that in November of 2009 Tracey was diagnosed with a pituitary tumor located deep within her brain. This was operated on in New Zealand a few weeks after diagnosis and most (but not all) of the tumor was removed. At this time we were told that there was a 50% chance that it would begin growing again and further treatment would be required.

It was not expected that the tumor would resume growing as quickly as it did. An MRI taken 3 months after the operation reveled that the tumor had began growing again. Treatment options included a number of different drugs and/or radio therapy. The radio therapy option involves targeting a burst of radiation at the tumor, effectively blasting it into submission. This is a fairly traumatic treatment and is normally used only when drug treatment fails (in about 25% - 30% of cases).

This appointment with the endocrinologist was to be an important one - Tracey has been using the drug treatment (monthly injections) for 5 months now and it was time for tests to provide information on the effectiveness of the drug treatment. As you can imagine, we were quite pensive as we waited for the endo to give us the results.

To our great relief and joy, the news was good ... in fact very good. The blood tests provided a strong indicator that the drug treatment was working. We will have to wait for the next MRI (in August) to be sure that the tumor has stopped growing, but indications are good. Time to celebrate!